From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 19:11:42 -0700
Many thanks for your thoughtful response.

A specific case prompting my question relates to Turbonnillas collected
via hand dredge from estuarian waters.  Many live collected species are
very translucent and remain so many years after collection (dessicated in
alcohol, thoroughtly dried, sealed in air tight containers, and stored
away from light).  Dead collected specimens are invariably opaque, but do
not necessarily exhibit tiny scratches of wear under 20X magnification.
None of these are beach collected.  However, I'm sure some of the
tumbling you describe does occur, but not much and not in the kind of
sand you describe since these estuarian bottoms are mostly a soft mud and
fine sand mixture covered with seagrasses.  They are also not subject to
much wave action and I imagine sink into the bottom fairly quickly after
death.  The "dull, opaque, and apparently white" appearance of these dead
shells is exactly the descriptive appearance given by many authors to
numerous micro shells like Turbonillas described in the literature when
only dead collected specimens are what they have available; and, most
often are ocean collected.

Marlo

I like your "acid etching" suggestion better