From:
CHARLES F STURM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:43:09 -0400
First I would like to thank everyone who replied to my question about the
database.  I did not open it but someone mentioned a price of $1500.
Depending on the robustness of the system, its scope and the technical
support and upgrades provided, this may not be unreasonable. This being
said, it may still be financially more costly than many can afford. If it
came down to investing in a database versus purchasing more literature, I
would purchase more literature.

One program that some may be interested in looking at is a database
program called "Specify"  <http://usobi.org/specify/>
This is a project that has been under development for over a decade. It is
a complex program.  Tech support is only provided to non-profit
institutions but the documentation is extensive. I believe the on-line
operating manual is over 200 pages. Cost - free.  Most of the development
was funded by the US government (National Science Foundation, I believe)
and donations. I have not played with it due to hardware limitations of my
computer but some of you might want to check it out.

As Helmut would say...best shelling wishes!

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine