From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 18:58:55 -0400
Jeanne Cheek wrote:

> I am trying to locate assorted sizes of clear plastic boxes with 2 hinges
> on the back side and one snap hinge on the front, so that the box opens
> with the lid still attached as opposed to a lift off lid.  I will need
> several hundred of these for displaying sea shells.  The smallest size
> would be about a 1" x 1" x 1" and the largest size needed would be about 4"
> x 7" x 4".  Any possible sources for a purchase such as this would be
> greatly appreciated.

For plastic boxes, I have used:

Althor Products are at:

AHC/Althor Products
2 Turnage Lane
P.O. Box 640
Bethel Connecticut 06801-2853

Phone: (203) 830-6060; fax: (203) 830-6064

They have a large selection of boxes.

You may wish first, however, to contact:

Shell Lovers
1000 N. Harrison
Algonquin, IL 60102

(708) 658-9096

I suggest you contact Shell Lovers first, because although they do not
have the selection range of Althor, they are considerably cheaper not
only in the boxes, but also the blue foam inserts.  Also, the Kramers,
as the company name suggests, are shellers.

I have ordered from both Althor and Shell Lovers without complaint, but
as Shell Lovers has not raised prices since 1992! my main business goes
to them. Please double check the area codes as they change.

We had a discussion on foam inserts last year.  The foam from the 1970's
deteriorates, but the blue foam sold today by both Althor and Shell
Lovers lasts much better, and I have had shells stored with this type of
inserts for over ten years without problem.

P.S. I don't have any financial connection to either business.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL