Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:43:33 -0500
>I've found some very limited info. on a very interesting african freshwater speices (tiphorbia horei) from lake tanganyika, africa.  does anyone here know of these or have any info. whatsoever on them?
>According to one site i found they are more closely related to marine species than other freshwater snails <

This is probably incorrect, although the idea is historically popular.  Ancient lakes, such as Tanganyika, often have remarkable freshwater molluscan faunas.  However, the Tanganyika snails seem to be derived from within freshwater groups rather than marine.  A few lakes that originated from the closing off of marine basins did end up with a mix of marine- and freshwater-derived taxa.  Most of these are known from the fossil record, but some of the living taxa from the Caspian and Black Sea area (dreissenids, lymnocardiines, etc.) seem to have adapted to fresher water at the time of the closing off of the basin.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    46860 Hilton Dr #1113
    Lexington Park MD 20653 USA

That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.davidson.alumlink.com