From:
Martha Chiarchiaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 23:15:30 -0500
My husband and I have made two shelling visits to Ocracoke, NC at the
southern tip of the outer banks.  There's a great ferry ride that brings you
to the nothern tip of the island and the town itself is about 12 miles
south.  There are several off road vehicle entrances, which is particularly
important for shelling in the southern part of the island, about 7 miles
from the nearest parking lot.  No passes needed to travel on the beach.

We've always gone to Ocracoke at the end of September or early October (at
the time of the full moon).  Two years ago was fabulous (for me at least)
because we arrived a few days after hurricane Floyd went through and Dan had
come by shortly before.  I found 13 perfect Scotch Bonnets in just two days.
The past October didn't bring forth the same treasures, but I did have a
4-wheel drive vehicle this time which made for a lot less walking!!

Chuck and Debbie Robinson have written a great book, The Art of Shelling,
which has a whole chapter on shelling at Ocracoke.  This is how we first
found out about it.

Please don't to contact me for more specific information.

Martha