From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:15:46 -0600
Conus striatus has several documented fatalities to its credit also.
I have a few different references that attribute a certain number
of human deaths to different species, and the numbers vary with
when the publications were written, and which authors thought
the stingers had been misidentified.  I'll see if I can dig some out
and post a specific citation later.  Bruce Livett might be able to
be more thorough on this, though.

According to the guys that work with the venoms, C. textile can
be deadly, or not, depending on where they are collected.  Some
of the other species that have potentially deadly components in
their venoms are C. tulipa and C. omaria, even though some tests
on mice from a single envenomation by C. omaria toxin didn't kill
them.  Multiple doses did.  Conus catus also has extremely potent
venom, but their teeth are so small that envenomation is unlikely,
and probably the reason no fatalities have ever been attributed to
them.  The jury is still out on a lot of the other Indo-Pacific fish-
eaters, but most of them have the potential to be dangerous.

Cheers,

Don