From:
CHARLES F STURM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:05:51 -0500
I believe this specimen is Carolinapecten eboreus (Conrad, 1833). Others
may know it as Pecten eboreus or Argopecten eboreus.  Ward and Blackwelder
erected the genus Carolinapecten in 1987 in LW Ward and BW Blackwelder.
1987. Late Pliocene and Early Pleistocene Mollusca from the James City and
Chowan River Formations at the Lee Creek Mine. Smithsonian Contributions
to Paleobiology No. 61. pp 113-283.

From the same issue of the SCP No. 61 is also the article by TG Gibson,
Miocene and Pliocene Pectinidae (Bivalvia) from the Lee Creek Mine and
Adjacent Areas. pp. 31-112.
 There are several subspecies of C. eboreus including C. e. eboreous,C. e.
watsonensis, C. e. darlingtonensis, C. e. urbannaensis, and C. e.
solarioides.  There is debate as to whether these are valid subspecies,
ecotypic variations or even valid species.  Until this gets sorted out I
have just been labeling specimens in my collection as Carolinapecten
eboreus.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine