From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:00:45 -0500
Hey Jim;

How big is the Chank?  Big operc?   I certainly will bring you one back from
Eleuthera the next time we go in May if you don't get any response.

Jim Cordy

Jim Miller wrote:

> Greetings Conch-Lers,
>
> How about this for an unusual request? Umm, first off, let me point out
> that if you didn't know, dogs love operculums. I guess they're the snail
> equivalent of rawhide chewsticks. Okay, so I had this big chank from
> Eleuthera with the operculum set in all nicely, but then as I walked past
> the cabinet where the shell is on display, I noticed that oh-so-familar
> odor of "eau de notso clean." Hmm, I had obviously left a bit of snail
> inside. I carefully removed the operculum and placed it on the kitchen
> counter, then took the shell outside to flush with a power nozzle. Sure
> enough, out popped a last smelly bit of Turbinella angulata -- success! I
> carried the shell back inside to dry it and replace the 'perc but wait:
> Where did that 'perc go? It was here ten minutes ago. I looked to see where
> our three dogs were, only to see one of them (I won't name names here)
> spitting out a mouthful of cotton.
>
> Se here's my request/question: Anybody out there got an extra operculum
> from a big chank laying around? I know it won't be the correct "door" for
> this shell, but I figure it's just on display for my viewing pleasure and
> not going into a museum somewhere. If anyone might have one, I am willing
> to send them a nice Scaphella junonia in exchange. You have to agree, this
> is one of the more unusual postings lately.
>
> Operculum-less in Tallahassee (where it's still in the 20s tonight),
> Jim
>
> Jim Miller
> Tallahassee, Florida

Jim and Bobbi Cordy
Specializing in Self Collected Caribbean Species
Merritt Island Florida

SPACE COAST SHELL FESTIVAL
"King Neptunes Shell Palace"
January 18-20,2002