Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:06:36 -0500
>Species:  Somewhat resembles Lima pellucida

I believe that Bieler and Mikkelson have at least one new species of Limaria, previously misidentified as Limaria hians, from the Florida Keys.  I am not sure if they have formally described it.

>Here are the uncertainly on my part.
>1)  Do Lima have separate sexes?  Are they Gonochoristic, hermaphroditic,viviparous?<

The normal condition for bivalves is to have separate sexes and to reproduce by releasing gametes into the ocean.  I believe that limids also have separate sexes and do not brood the eggs at all.  However, very small size in bivalves is often correlated with egg brooding.  I know that scallops have separate sexes, and molecular data support the traditional close association of Limidae and Pectinidae.

I do not have anatomical information on Limidae at hand, but know that references exist.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    46860 Hilton Dr #1113
    Lexington Park MD 20653 USA

That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa