From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:06:26 -0600
A close friend who once worked in a restaurant, taught me something I've
done ever since.

I fill a bowl or basin with cold water and add a bit of salt.  I separate
the head of lettuce and thoroughly swish it through the salt bath.  Then I
rinse with fresh running water.  Salt not only rids it of snails and slugs,
but lettuce worms as well. I also use this method on any vegetables I plan
to eat raw.

Fruits and vegetables we grow, I always put through a cool water bath with
Joy liquid detergent added, then rinse and dry.  This is especially helpful
on tomatoes - it destroys the bacteria that cause them to deteriorate.  They
last much longer after being picked this way.

Sylvia Edwards
Huntsville, AL