From:
"V. M. S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:21:04 +0100
Dear friend:

Iīm not an expert but Iīm very familiarized with those Mediterranean species
that I have from San Roque, Cádiz, Espaņa (Spain).

&#61550;        Iīm nearly sure that the chiton isnīt Chiton olivaceus Spengler,
1797. I have that species but I canīt clasificate it yet. I have Chiton
olivaceus too and itīs quite different.
&#61550;        Cerithium vulgatum Bruguičre, 1792 I think is right. I have many
specimens from that species and itīs quite variable. In my specimens they
are some like that. Cerithium alucaster (Brocchi, 1814) is quite similar but
here it isnīt appear.
&#61550;        Cyclope pellucida Risso, 1826. I was very sure about that but three
days ago I noticed this: I have two works (*) about Bay of Algeciras and
Strait of Gibraltar area. In anyone it isnīt appear this species, but I have
it from the Bay of Algeciras. Instead of this it appears Cyclope neritea
(Linnaeus, 1758) (=Cyclope donovania Risso, 1826). So I have seen all the
information that I have again and Iīm still thinking that it is Cyclope
pellucida. Perhaps Iīm wrong, but according with the photographs that
appears in La Conchiglia by Italo Nofroni (Sorry I havenīt got the exactly
bibliography remarks) and with others pictures, photographs and descritions
I think this. Maybe in this two works it isnīt appears because one of them
is localized in Getares, near Algeciras, entrance of the Bay of Algeciras
and the other one it is placed in Barbate, entrance of the Strait of
Gibraltar, Atlantic side of Cádiz; and my place is San Roque, in the middle
of the Bay of Algeciras. Sometimes I find species it doesnīt appears in this
works like one specimen of Zonaria pyrum (!).
o       Aartsen, J.J. Van; Menkhorst, H.P.M.G.; Gittenberger, E. 1984. The marine
Mollusca of the Bay of Algeciras, Spain, with general notes on Mitrella,
Marginellidae and Turridae. Basteria, Supplement, nš2: 1-135.
o       Rueda, José; Salas, Carmen; Gofas, Serge. 2000. A molluscan community from
coastal bioclastic bottoms in the Strait of Gibraltar area. Iberus, 18 (1):
95-123.
&#61550;        This specimens of Diodora are those that when Iīm drunk of see many
I canīt separate. I rather say that itīs Diodora gibberula (Lamarck, 1822)
but they are very ornated so perhaps it is Diodora graeca (Linnaeus, 1758).
A lateral view can separated the two species. Diodora graeca in a lateral
view has usually a totally flat base, however Diodora gibberula in a lateral
view has usually a curved base.

If you want you can see my specimens in my homepage, here are the Urls:
Chiton olivaceus:
http://www.eureka.ya.com/aaaron25/polyplacophora/slide3.jpg
Cerithium vulgatum:
http://www.eureka.ya.com/aaaron25/gast_familias/Cer_Con/Cvulgatum.jpg
Cyclope pellucida:
http://www.eureka.ya.com/aaaron25/gast_familias/Nas_Nat/Cpellucida.jpg
Diodora gibberula:
http://www.eureka.ya.com/aaaron25/gast_familias/Ell_Hal/Dgibberula.jpg
Diodora graeca:
http://www.eureka.ya.com/aaaron25/gast_familias/Ell_Hal/Dgraeca.jpg
Main menú:
http://www.eureka.ya.com/aaaron25/

Regards Victoriano.

MSN Photos es la manera más sencilla de compartir e imprimir sus fotos:
http://photos.latam.msn.com/Support/WorldWide.aspx