From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:04:15 -0500
Per your message below, it is simple. You just need a set of closeup lenses
manufactured by Tiffen Optical and others. You need to know the filter size
of your camera's lens (i.e. 52mm, 47mm, etc.) to order the correct lenses.
Usually a set includes a +1, +2 and +4 diopter lens which can actually be
combined to get super close. There are also variable closeup lenses, but I
prefer the individual lenses. They are available from just about any camera
store (look in the back of magazine like Popular Photography).

Best regards,
Jim

>I'm the lucky owner of a 4700 FinePix Zoom Digital camera from Fujitsu (4.3
>Megapixel with a 3x automatic optical zoom) which I use to get fine hires
>images of my shells. However the major limit of such camera is the minimum
>distance from the subject, which cannot be lower than 20 cm (8 inches if
>you prefer). Thus I can get good photos only of  shells bigger than say 1.5
>cm (about half inch), even with all the digital image optimizations I
>perform by Adobe Photoshop. I asked Fujitsu for an additional lens, but the
>reply was that no such lens was between the camera accessories. However I
>read today that some of you uses his camera also with other optical
>devices, like binoculars or similar. Since I would like to get photos of
>shells few millimeters long, i hope that some of you may help me with some
>suggestion, i.e. an additional lens which i can build. How many diopters do
>you think it must be, if I put it just contacted with the camera lens?
>Thank you all
>Enzo Campani
>
>************************
>Enzo Campani