From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:53:40 +0000
The list has become such a deadly serious place that nobody dares share
their favorite shell pranks???

-R.

<Somebody wrote;

Barney Winston's anecdote about scattering misc. shells on the beach in
front of their hotel made me think: i'll bet half the list can tell
about little shell-related jokes and pranks they played on gentle,
unsuspecting folk at some point in their Conchological Career.

        To give the ball a little push, i have a confession myself.
When i was in Labrador trying to get a bit of "extreme shelling" in, i
had plenty of time to spare because the Chlamys islandica trawler i went
out on had almost no luck at all for the first 1.5 days, so they packed
up shop and left me behind.  I roamed the foothills of the Torngat
Mountains from my base in Nain, and was constantly coming across the
carefully constructed "Inukshuks" (ok, don't quote me on the spelling!),
which are man-shaped cairns built by the Inuit to mark where they had
been, and possibly to act as landmarks.  One day, on a whim, i built my
own - with a little "twist": i stowed about a dozen attractive
Philippine, Indian, Floridan and Zanzibarican shells in the cracks and
crannies of my own little pile of rocks.  I can just imagine some Inuit,
Dene or tourist coming across my Faux-Inukshuk and finding these
curiously un-subarctic objects of natural history hiding in its
innards.....of course if it is one of the multitudes of children i gave
similar shells to on that trip, perhaps they will remember me, and
wonder whatever happened to the strange Shell Man who promised to come
back some day (and with any luck, i will!!).

Spring is Sprung in Neu Shotland - Coltsfeet all over the place!!