From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:45:52 -0400
OK, I stand corrected.  Nevertheless, based on some early illustrations of
tortulosa, I must disagree with van Benthem Jutting's findings.  Perhaps
the illustrations are not of real tortulosa.  I can't say that I've
examined any typical material of tortulosa or the original description.....
I have examined paratypes of tweediei at the Field Museum and they were the
same species collected in Thailand.

Kurtles

At 12:15 PM 4/9/02 +0200, you wrote:
>I'm sorry, but tweediei is a conspecific with tortuosa (Beck, 1837) as is
published by van Benthem Jutting in 1960: Some notes on land- and
freshwater Mollusca of Malaya.-Basteria 24: 10-20
>tweediei is published in 1948 in the Proc. malac.Soc. London, 27: 225, pl.
11, fig. 6: type locality is Malaysia, Perlis, Kaki Buket
>tortuosa is described by Chemnitz, 1795  (Syst. Conch, Cab. vol. 11: 158,
pl. 195, fig. 1882 & 1883) as Turbo tortuosus without type locality. As the
names of Chemnitz are become invalid, the name tortuosus became valid by a
publication by Beck in 1837 (Index Molluscorum preasentis aevi musei
principis Augustissimi Christiani Frederici. Sowerby (1864, Thesauris 3,
pl. 264, fig 1) said tortuosus came from the Nicobar Islands. I saw large
lots from Thailand and could collect in Perlis (Malaysia) a few specimens
only.
>In 2001 I published a "Preliminary checklist of the non-marine Molluscs of
West Malaysia" , 155 pps. Copies are available from : Hemmen,
Grillparzerstrasse 22, D65187 Wiesbaden, Germany