From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:32:32 -0400
William,

Most dealers seem to be following the Manual of the Living Conidae by Rockel
et al. for identification of Indo-Pacific cones.  In the Manual, these cones
are placed as follows:

Conus spiculum => Juvenile Conus generalis
Conus batheon => Conus grangeri (The real C. grangeri is endemic to the Red
Sea)
Conus grangeri (from P.I. dealers) => Conus rolani Rockel, 1986
Conus cebuganus => Juvenile Conus australis
Conus rogmartini => Pustulose Conus otohimeae
Conus lapulapui => Conus eugrammatus

Sometimes you will find a note from the dealer that lists what the shell
used to be called.   Keeping up with changes in cone names can be very
confusing.  To make matters worse, not everyone has accepted all names as
they are applied in the Manual.

Hope this helps.

Bill

William J. Fenzan