From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:20:52 -0400
You have probably noticed that many shells look more colorful when wet than
they do after drying out.  Oiling a shell maintains that "saturated"
appearance ("wetting" the shell with something that will not evaporate), and
thereby keeps the colors looking bright. Oiling has little if any effect on
shells which are naturally glossy, like cowries and olives, and are also in
good condition. It also has little visible effect on shells which have
little natural pigmentation. But on shells which are colorful and porous,
like pectens