From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:54:59 +1000
For those of you with an interest in DNA studies and where they are going
(even if we can't afford it - yet), here is a recent paper by Tom Duda (from
this LIST) who is probably too modest to put his hand up. Tom and colleagues
used DNA sequence data from mitochondrial and nuclear loci of 76 Conus
speices to generate species-level phylogenetic hypotheses for this genus and
then mapped known diets onto the pylogenies to elucidate the origins and
evolutionary histories of different feeding specializtions. Still interested
? Read abstract below...then go to the library for the full article.  Nice
work Tom!
Bruce

Duda, TF Jr(1)*, Kohn, AJ.(2) and Palumbi(1) SR. (2001) Origins of diverse
feeding ecologies within Conus, a genus of venomous marine gastropods.
Biological Journal of the Linnean Society (2001), 73: 391 - 409.
(1)Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Biological
Laboratories,Harvard University,USA, and (2) Department of Zoology,
University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Abstract: Specialized predators on polychaetes, fishes, hemichordates or
other molluscs, members of the predominantly tropical gastropod genus Conus
diversified rapidly during the Miocene to constitute the most species-rich
modern marine genus. We used DNA sequence data from mitochondrial and
nuclear loci of 76 Conus species to generate species-level phylogenetic
hypotheses for this genus and then mapped known diets onto the phylogenies
to elucidate the origins and evolutionary histories of different feeding
specializations. The results indicate that dramatically new feeding modes
arose only a few times, that the most derived feeding modes likely arose in
the Miocene, and that much of the known diversity of Conus that was
generated during Miocene radiations has survived to the present. . 2001 The
Linnean Society of London
ADDITIONAL KEYWORDS:Gastropoda Conus molecular phylogeny feeding ecology
ecological diversification