From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 07:21:00 -0500
Following Kevin's lead on the issue of numbering shells I add that, in the
unlikely event that someone needs to remove the number on a particular
shell (for taking pictures, for example), this can be done in most cases,
exception made to very eroded, coarse shell surfaces (fossil shells, for
example). Simply rub the number away the number using a soft plastic
eraser, and write it back when convenient.

At 09:27 AM 5/9/2002 -0500, Kevin Cummings wrote:
>I just want to say that I am solidly in this camp.  There are too
>many opportunities (dropped drawer, dermestids, silverfish, tray
>jumping) for screw ups to risk not numbering shells.  A finely
>pointed indelible ink pen (Pigma Micron 01 or 02) works great and the
>numbers can usually be written in an out of the way place on the
>shell it won't distract from your enjoyment.

>Kevin S. Cummings

José

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum