From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 10:44:23 -0400
I am in total agreement. Once several years ago, a shelf carrying in open
containers my entire collection of land snail shells from a trip to Turkey
collapsed spilling everything on the floor. Fortunately, however, I had
numbered every shell, but the smallest ones. So, I ended up losing only
those that broke into many pieces. In retrospect, it was a preventable
incident; I could have used a sturdier shelf, sealed bags instead of open
trays, etc. But, as Kevin stated there are too many opportunities for
specimens to get mixed up. If you want to keep specimens from different
locations separate, it is best to write a number or some code on them.

I write a station code on most land snail shells using an automatic pencil
with a 0.3 mm soft lead, which is durable enough for infrequent handling.

Aydin