From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:11:56 -0400
Dear Charles,
Sorry, I was out on Friday of last week.

I've thoroughly enjoyed Baguio on each of my few visits to the Philippines.
 It's in Benguet Province....6-8 hours north of Manila by bus.  Travel
arrangements can be made at many places in Manila as it's a common holiday
destination.  I've usually rented a car and driver while there....drove
around looking for limestone outcrops (many).  Helicostyla butleri seems to
be the most common helicostylid there, but I've collected a some others.
Chloraea benguetensis is also quite common....  Helicarionids are abundant....

Banaue is also a great place, but I've never made it that far
north...another 6 or so hours.  The Cagayan valley and surrounding
mountains can be quite dangerous at times due to local tribes that just
don't like interloppers of any kind, and the NPA (or other radical groups).
 If you go there, it's best to know someone, preferrably someone in a
well-respected family in the area.....Although the Philippines is my
favorite country outside my homeland I live by a simple rule while anyplace
other than my own backyard.....don't stay anywhere longer than 3 days and I
don't tell anyone where I'm going....

Good luck....Kurtles

At 07:11 PM 6/23/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Dear Charles,
>I have many land species from Luzon, but little with usefull specific data.
>Some localities that are better are
>North of La Trinidad, Benguet, in mountains 5000 feet + on trees (libata,
>montana, vidali)
>West of Casiguran, Aurora, 5500 feet (intermedia, dautzenbergi)
>Cagayan Mountains, E Luzon (lignaria)
>rice terraces near Banaue 6000 feet (garibaldiana)
>Unfortunately no dates either.
>
>Have collected recently on Cebu and Bohol, so could give a few tips if your
>going there.
>Good luck. Its one of those snailing places I have always wanted to go to
>Regards
>Geoff
>
>>From: Charles Geerts <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Luzon snailing trip
>>Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:46:20 -0400
>>
>>Dear List Readers,
>>I am planing a snailing trip to Luzon (PI) for about one month. Would any
>>reader have some recent or older info about places or areas that would be
>>worth visiting or revisiting(after tenths of years. Please note that due to
>>my young age and limited resistance to high humidity in tropical areas, I
>>can hardly consider trekking tru tropical forest or mountain climbing.
>>Tks much in advance to all of you who might supply with some practicel
>>leads or refer me to some recent or older papers.
>>Kind regards
>>mailto list or mail to:[log in to unmask]

Mr. Kurt Auffenberg
Senior Biological Scientist
Exhibits & Public Programs
University of Florida