From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:46:14 -0700
Hi Jordan et all,
        To answer your question is rather simple.  You may take up to ten
"SPECIMENS" per day of non-edibles that are listed in the Washington Fish
and Wildlife manual.(No License)  But if you are collecting edible bivalves
you must obtain a license.  If you are collecting for an institution you
must get a scientific collector's permit from the head office in Olympia.
That takes time and needs a letter from the institution saying what you are
interested in collecting and what will happen to the materials collected.
All this is on the Washington State Fish and Wildlife website.
        Now comes the fun part.  A couple of months ago I stopped with my
wife and favorite friend "Kuma" (our dog) at a Fish and Wildlife office,
outside Aberdeen, Washington and asked for a license to collect shells.  I
told them that I had read that I could collect 10 "FREE" mollusks, without
a license but would like to do some "clammin'".  They were thrown into a
complete dizziness and went looking for the Captain, Head game Warden and
several computer experts to check my statement about "Free" mollusks (OK,
Avril, it's "molluscs" for you.)  After a half hour of haggling they
finally found the one sentence in the whole website that said that, Yes, I
could collect 10 "freebies".
        Now, that some of the head "Honchos" at one of the main offices.
When I was collecting at Camano Island State Park in June (official open
season for clams and oysters, with license), I had to go through the same
thing with the game warden, who was checking every bucket that came up the
hill.  "Are you going to eat those snails?", he asked.  Fortunately I carry
the Fish and Wildlife reulation folder with me at ALL TIMES, just in case.
        So, that's that and yes, you can collect, without a license, up to
10 specimens, not species, per day without a license.  I recommend that you
also carry the Fish and Wildlife Regulations with you to help educate the
Game Wardens.
Dan

>Greetings All
>I know it's early to "plan" for COA 2003 but what the heck.  A thought came
>to mind reading email from Conch-L, are there any restrictions on collecting
>in Washington State?
>

>Jordan Star
>
><HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=4 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
>FACE="Arial Black" LANG="0">Greetings All
><BR>I know it's early to "plan" for COA 2003 but what the heck. &nbsp;A
>thought came to mind reading email from Conch-L, are there any
>restrictions on collecting in Washington State?
><BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
><BR>
><BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=4 FACE="Signature" LANG="0">Jordan
>Star</FONT></HTML>

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California