From:
Wolfgang Proestler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:17:56 +0800
am 13.08.2002 18:42 Uhr schrieb Alfonso Pina unter [log in to unmask]:

> Some precisions about umlauts:
>
> First -  As Franck says, in French, as well as in Spanish and I think in all
> other Latin derived languages, it is called diaeresis, and I am not sure it
> marks the same linguistic features as in German.
>
> Second - The way Patty indicates to get some diachritical marks works
> perfectly, and it is not HTML, just plain ASCII text: you can test it.
>
> Third - Unfortunately I don't speak German, but I always thought that umlaut
> was an alternative way to indicate some diptongues, so you can write
> "Röding" or "Roeding" and both forms are perfectly correct. Same thing
> occurs to German beta, wich is the same as a double "s". And this is not a
> colateral effect of computer technology: you can find it in many printed
> text, modern or old. Surely there must be some German speaker out there who
> could clarify this point.
>
> Fourth - I think that the use of diachritical marks is not allowed by the
> ICZN. Sure, not for species names (I'm unsure about authors names). Anyway,
> the general trend is not to use them, wich leads to the fact that many of
> the authors names other than English are really bad written (curiously,
> English and Latin coincide at this point: none of them use this marks). Use
> of diptongues instead of umlauts allows to avoid this errors for many German
> names, so it could be advisable.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alfonso Pina
> Málaga, Spain
> www.eumed.net/malakos

After all a short note from a German: All Germans are using Umlauts:
ae = ä
oe = ö
ue = ü
(ß = ss)
But there are no Umlauts in English, Latin and most other languages. That is
why in this languages the use of ae, oe, ue and ss instead of the umlaut is
correct.
Use of Umlauts in scientific shell names:
Tutufa nigrita (Mühlhäusser & Blöcher, 1979) - here Umlaut used in authors
names.
but: Bursa muehlhaeusseri Parth, 1990 - here no Umlaut, because used in the
scientific name.
and: Architectonica proestleri Alf & Kreipl, 2001 (no umlaut - scientific
name)
The correct spelling of my name is Pröstler, but since most persons here in
the Philippines do not know anything about umlauts (mostly it comes like
"Prostler") and also most of the English-speaking persons are not used to it
and it also causes trouble when using it in some computer programs, I
decided to use Proestler.

Best regards to all from
Wolfgang Proe(ö)stler