From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:24:21 -0300
In some cases freezing isn't the solution - but one must try to see what
happens. I had some shells cracked the same way - some bivalves with
lamellae, some landnails and the worse was two Pleurotomaria... their top
just came off!
When I travel I use alcohol which is the easiest way. Sometimes it is not so
good to use it in small Marginellas or any other transparent shell since you
don't want any animal left inside.
The problem is that in some Countries you don't find alcohol to use. The
solution is...Vodka, aguardiente, or similar spirit drink. I had to use
Aguardiente in Ecuador since I could not find alcohol. Of course the hotel's
maid were looking weird at us every time she had to clean the room and had
to pick several empty bottles....

Marcus

>From: Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Shell breakage
>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:41:14 -0700
>
>Hi all,
>
>I've been cleaning shells like crazy this month...tons from my
>collecting trip in August :-). I used the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw
>method on the snails. I found that a small percentage of my
>Nucella lamellosa broke, I presume from the freezing. This
>breakage consisted of large sections of the whorls cracked off
>so that there are big holes in the shells. I have many hundreds
>of Nucella lamellosa, so this isn't so bad, except that one of
>the broken ones turned out to be my nicest bright purple
>specimen...grrr!
>
>Has anyone else experienced this problem and what is the cure?
>
>Regards,
>
>Peter Egerton
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
>           - - - Seashells and Web Publishing - - -
>
>Email:  [log in to unmask]
>
>Web site:    "Peter's Seashells", including "Seashells of
>                       British Columbia"
>                       http://members.shaw.ca/bcshells/index.html

MARCUS COLTRO
WWW.FEMORALE.COM.BR
More than 3,000 pictures!
No registration needed!

MSN Photos é a maneira mais fácil e prática de editar e compartilhar sua
fotos: http://photos.msn.com.br