From:
"Marlo F. Krisberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:11:45 -0400
Linda,

Abbott's color plates are poor and little help for Chione intapurpurea.
However, the drawing in his field guide is helpful, if you have it.  It can
hardly be confused with  Mercenaria mercenaria or Chione cancellata once you
have a confirmed sample.  Unfortunately I do not have any of my own photos.

By the way, what you're calling Chione cancellata is almost definitely
Chione elevata (Say, 1822) if collected from our Gulf or Atlantic coasts.
See "One Species Becomes Two: The Case of Chione cancellata, The Resurrected
C. Elevata, and a Phylogenetic Analysis of Chione," J. Moll. Stud. (2000),
66, 517-534, The Malacological Society of London 2000, Peter D. Roopnarine
and Geerat J. Vermeij.  If you have Redfern's book, you'll note that he's
adopted C. elevata.

Marlo
Merritt Island, FL