From:
Chris Vos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:42:10 +0200
Hi David,

Sorry for a late reply to this most interesting mail. Malea ringens is
indeed one of those - as all Tonna's - where size and age are not equivalent
to one another.
A young ringens (juvenile) will not have the "grin", and basically looks
like a young Tonna galea to the untrained eye. If you like, I can put some
pictures on my website when we get back from our trip. For those who have
the Emerson & Old (1960, or was it '65): there's a picture of an immature
ringens in there as well.

Tonna's in general, when attacked and damaged, tempt to re-built what whas
there before. Some will make a varix (sulcosa) but others (most of them)
will just repair the damage, even if that means the "grin". I guess that
60mm one had more luck than the 90mm one ... which might have passed through
that "rocky zone" as well ... seems like an absolute "normal" beach find to
me.

Best regards,

Chris