From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 08:11:43 PDT
Dear Linda

most of your shells you can find in the famous Comendium of seahells
by Tucker Abbott & Peter Dance. It is very very important for you
if you have this great work.
I will note between your lines what I#ve found out for you.

yours Helmut from Innsbruck in Austria

----------
> Hello Conch-L,
> I am hoping that someone can give me some information on the following shells
> from my collection.  I have more cone shells than any other single family,
> about 60 in all.  But there are several that I have not been able to locate in
> my various books.  I am hoping that someone can tell me if these shells are
> correctly named, and if any of them are uncommon species.  Also i am listing a
> few murex shells that I am not sure abvout.  Here are my mystery shells (well
> some of them anyway).
> - Murex bicolor (no author name listed) - whitish on outside, with some small
> pink areas, pink inside, 105 mm, short spines, more like pointy bumps, from
> Mazatalan, Mexico.  Similar to Murex erythrostomus in my books, which is also
> found in Mexico - could it be a form of that species?

in the Compendium: Phyllonotus erythrostomus Swainson, 1831
in Muscheln und Schnecken der Weltmeere by Gert Lindner
(a German book, but very nice) - Hexaplex erythrostomus (Swainson,
1831)
Murex bicolor Valenciennes, 1832  is synonym

> - Murex saxatilis L. - shaped somewhat like the Murex bicolor, but smaller and
> darker in color, banded with light and dark brown, with dark pink inside the
> mouth of the shell.  Small spines around the outer edge of the whorls.  the
> spines are hollow inside, 82 mm, from Gabon

in the Compendium: Hexaplex rosarium (Roeding, 1798)
syn. Murex saxatilis of authors
Cape Verde Islands, W-Africa

> - Murex salebrosa King. - dark brownish with long raised ridges, the inside is
> white with raised bumps like teeth on the outside edge of the mouth, 52 mm
> long, comes from Cape Blanco CR(?)

Vitularia salebrosa (King & Broderip, 1832)

> -Murex andivia Lamarck - quite spiny, spines are curved and up to 30 mm in
> length.  Shell is 68 mm in length, dark, almost black, with  two bands of
> white.  Locality is ‘Bataan’

in Compendium: Chicoreus
in Lindner             Hexaplex      chicoreum (Gmelin, 1791)
syn. endivia Lamarck, 1822.

> - Murex pinnatus - slender white shelll with thin ribbed ridges sticking out
> on both sides and on top.  A really beautiful shell, all white.  The mouth if
> the shell is small.  The spire end is tall and sharp pointed, and the other
> end is like a slender curved tube.  From Formosa (I guess that is Taiwan now?)

in Compendium under: Pterynotus alatus (Roeding, 1798)
                                        SE-Asia, E-Indies

> -Conus obesus Hwass - kind of short and heavy, lots of dark markings crowded
> together all over, but no real pattern.  Measures 38 mm.  from Andaman Isls.

> -  Conus arachnodes Gn. - quite large cone shell with small lines and blotches
> of black all over.  It has an operculum, if that helps.  78 mm, from Andaman
> Isls.

> - Conus cinereus (no author listed) - slender gray color with a few lighter
> markings, and very shiny surface, 42 mm, from Philippines

Conus cinereus Hwass, 1792

> -Conus lignarius Rve. - rather thins and light weight, medium browen color,
> with very fine encicling ridges all over, 45 mm form Philippines

> -Conus interruptus (no author listed) - off white with rows of small  dots all
> over, enclrcling the shell, 32 mm, shiny, from Western Mexico

in Compendium under: Conus ximenes Gray, 1839
                                        syn. Conus interruptus Wood

> - Conus glacus (no author) - short fat species, dark gray with a few rows of
> dark dots encircling, 38 mm, from Philippines

Conus glaucus Linnaeus, 1758

> -Conus concinnus (no author) - small shell, shiny dark brown with a few small
> light markings, spire quite tall, 31 mm, from Taboga, Panama

right name: Conus coccineus Gmelin, 1791

> - Conus pyriformis Rve. - light yellowish tan all over, rather fat at the
> spire end, but getting slender toward the other end, with a series of rounded
> bumps around the base of the spire, and fine ridges encircling the smaller end
> of the shell, 51 mm, form Panama

in Compendium under: Conus patricius Hinds, 1843
                                        syn. C. pyriformis Reeve