Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:48:04 EST
In a message dated 11/20/02 9:25:32 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 Hi, Fellow Shell Enthusiasts!

 I would like to know what our most knowledgeable Pectinid
 workers think of attaching the "gabonensis" name to the
 Nodipecten nodosus; also, I recently noticed "fragosus"
 listed as a form of Nodipecten nodosus.  It had been
 referred to as a separate species?  COmments - Bret, Henk,
 etc.?

Dear Linda and others,
  I hate to sound like a broken record, but please see my articles in
American Conchologist from 1995. March and September issues. NO ONE resisted
the change as much as I tried to, but facts are facts and the species from
Colombia is the one illustrated as nodosus. It has (generally) 9 ribs, the
shape of the posterior auricle of the left valve is more square than the
northern form and the hinge line appears straighter because the posterior
auricle of the left valve does not overhang the hinge line. The shell does
not have the degree of ledging that the northern form (fragosus) does.
Nodipecten fragosus (Conrad, 1849) has 8 ribs, giving it a narrower look, the
shell in most cases is heavily tierred most prominently noticed in those
specimens from Dry Tortugas and northward. Strangely enough, I have noticed
there may be another species or faunal group and those seem to be centered
around St. Augustine, which in many cases are closer to those found in
Colombia with the tierring not as apparent. However, the rib count is still
closer to those found in other parts of Florida.
  Whether they can interbreed, which would make one a subspecies of the
other, or not, I do not know, therefore at this time, and until proven one
way or the other, I feel there are enough differences to be considered two
separate species.
  Nodipecten nodosus (Linne', 1753) is said to live in the southern
Caribbean, south of the Greater Antilles, , the Virgin Islands, the Lesser
Antilles, eastern Central America south of the Yucatan Peninsula. It also
does not develop the coarse macrosculpture and does not develop the large
bulbous nodes.
  Nodipecten fragosus (Conrad, 1849) is said to live from Cape Hatteras,
North Carolina around Florida and across the panhandle to Texas, across to
the Yucatan Peninsula to off Campeche Banks, Mexico.
  Reference: Judith Terry Smith, Cenozoic giant Pectinids from California and
the Tertiary Caribbean Province. U.S. Dept. of the Interior Geological
Professional Paper 139.

My own unsolicited opinion is that some day we will get another good American
Seashells with the updated names. Don't forget, nothing major has been
printed since 1972, so many of the changes are not reflected due to the lack
of modern literature.  As far as trans-Atlantic species, why not. Aequipecten
opercularis was "Discovered" off the U.S. Atlantic coast and given a new
name, heliacus Dall, 1925. Time and research will tell if gabonensis is a
valid subspecies.
      Carole Marshall

Carole Marshall