From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 11:06:05 EST
This seems an appropriate time of year to give thanks to the folks who work
to enhance our shelling experience. As far as I can tell, shells aren't a
road to riches but there are still many people who give their time and energy
to make a newsletter, run a newsgroup, maintain a webpage and more. How about
all the work it takes to put on a shell show? How about the Cordy's running
trips, not for profit, but because they love it? And the dealers who go above
and beyond, like Paul Monfils who donates his time and shells to help little
clubs like the Mystic Shell Club? Paul, like so many other dealers, will
really take the time to educate any sheller with a question. And how about
the academics, the biologists and malacologists who share their knowledge
with the hobbyists? And let's not forget how many of us, when traveling in
unfamiliar parts, have been guided and hosted by local sheller (Thank you
Mike Schenk). So much of what we love about shelling wouldn't happen if it
weren't for so many giving people working hard at it.

I've done my share of working to promote a hobby, but it wasn't shelling.
Rollerblading was hitting the scene and I loved it and started a skate club.
It wasn't for money, I had a definite agenda. I really wanted to promote the
use of helmets and I also wanted to gather a group to put on a race. The race
never happened, my membership had other priorities. We used to joke that I'd
started a singles club, not a skating club ... ah well....

I worked my butt off for three years organizing events and doing a newsletter
and whatever else to promote the sport. I had some hassles and headaches but
also opportunities and some of the best times in my life. I didn't do it for
cash (there was none) or for thanks, I did it because I was passionate.  It
had its own rewards, and one of those was the awareness of how much work
people put into their passions and causes. I might not have known, I might
have taken it for granted.

So I want to take this time (all of yours, because you read this, after all)
to thank the people who make shells one of the most delightful interests I've
ever had (and I've had a lot of interests) and one of the most pleasant
groups of people (try logging on to a scuba list sometime, those people are
CRANKY).

Those of you who write, edit, layout, organize, telephone, meet, explain,
educate, lead, encourage, share, thank you all. You don't have to do it, but
you've made all our lives richer. We are more fortunate than millionaires
indeed.