From:
Emilio Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:34:32 -0600
Dear Chris,

The authors have actually "described" one subspecies, Tonna galea abbotti,
and one species, Tonna pennata.

According to the authors, the adults of T. g. abbotti have 22-24 spiral
cords in the last whorl, while adults of T. g. galea have 20-22! The fact
that they also state T.g.galea inhabits the are, nullyfies the validity of
the subspecies. Curiously, they synonymize their other new taxon, T.
pennata, with T. maculosa, and then proceed to describe the "new" species
in three lines, with no other comments except habitat. It IS T. maculosa.

Their "new" Strombus, S. magolecciai, is compared with S. raninus.
According to them, the new species differs from S. raninus by having a
posterior "wing" that goes beyond the apex, 12 small nodes in the last
whorl instead of two large nodes,and a yellowish-white aperture instead
"instead of red or blue" of S. raninus. As you know, the latter is a very
variable species. Oh,well!

This volume was given to me, so I have no idea how to order it. I do not
recommend it.

Emilio

Emilio

The "new" species