From:
Simon Aiken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:01:11 -0000
Giancarlo, Paul -

It's a tricky point, and I agree that the only really satisfactory way
of describing the shell is to have no grading but note that the lip has
been filed.

Let's remember that lip filing (especially on cones) used to be
considered much more acceptable - so beware shells from old collections.
Now, even the most subtle filing makes a specimen unacceptable to most
collectors.

Another related problem: how do you grade dead-taken Cypraea?  Sometimes
I get an uncommon/rare Cypraea that appears perfect, but when you HANDLE
the shell you realise that it has lost some gloss and was dead
collected.  In this case, I'd also favour giving no grading at all, but
describing the shell in detail.