From:
Michael Hölling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:29:00 +0100
Linda,
alas, things are not always so simple in nature as our limited human mind
would like them to be! Populations can be separated by long distances, or by
sexual isolation mechanisms, different species can, like in the case of
European frogs, interbreed, produce a third fertile species as hybrid, yet
keep their characteristics as separate species. Then there are cases of
species which form different subspecies over their geographical range of
which some do not interbreed anymore when their ranges overlap like in the
case of the Herring Gulls (Larus fuscus and Larus argentatus). What we can
probably say is, that in a continuum of living beings there are limits where
genetic exchange is markedly reduced, most often to virtually nothing, and
these boundaries delimit what we call a species.
Greetings from Germany
Michael