Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:59:48 -0500
Dear Doctor Dave;-
   You make it sound like a basketball team. "species" are the starters; "sub-species" are the guys on the bench. The "Form-of" is the guy still tieing his shoes in the locker room. "Starters" and "bench guys" can interchange and often do. Gumbeiner, the guy in the locker room, still gets to be in the team picture.
   Thanks,
     Q'Man

> From: bivalve <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/02/17 Mon PM 07:07:43 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: "forms" and subspecies
>
> Another difference between a form, variety, etc. and a subspecies is that subspecies have official standing with the ICZN as a scientific name.  If a later study decides that a recognized subspecies is actually different enough to merit species recognition, the subspecies name becomes the species name.  Conversely, if a species is demoted, its name can become a subspecies name.  However, any variety, form, etc. proposed after the standardization of scientific naming (mid-1930's, if I remember correctly) has no official status.  Although it looks more impressive, Homo sapiens forma cinncinnatiensis has no more official status than Homo sapiens variety A or Homo sapiens "Art Weil".  Varieties, etc. published before the standardization count as subspecies.
>
>     Dr. David Campbell
>     Old Seashells
>     University of Alabama
>     Biodiversity & Systematics
>     Dept. Biological Sciences
>     Box 870345
>     Tuscaloosa, AL  35487-0345 USA
>
> That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droitgate Spa

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!