From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 23:10:08 +1200
>Hello Bob, Paul, Andrew and anyone else interested.  After receiving your
>help on my first shell, I got looking up other specimens that I had of this
>shell.  I found three others; however, to me they appeared quite different
>in some aspects.
>
>With your help at least putting me into the right family, I found the shells
>in Alison Kay's "Hawaiian Marine Shells" , I'm beginning to think that I do
>have two different species.
>
>Magilopsis lamarcki (Deshayes, 1863)
>Coralliobia fimbriata (A. Adams, 1854)
>
>I've uploaded these new scans and if you have a moment, I would appreciate
>receiving your thoughts on the matter.
>(http://www.manandmollusc.net/mystery_shell_avril_hawaii_Juv.html)
>
>I have put your information on the page as to the atys and juvenile shells.
>The scaphopod I'm still searching for more information
>
>Thanks for all your help so far and thanks for any and all other thoughts
>and opinions from this GREAT list!

Having another look, this time with Kosuge & Suzuki 1985 "Illustrated
Catalogue of Latiaxis and its Related Groups" and Clover 1982
"Latiaxis Catalog & Illustrated Checklist of Coralliophilidae Family"
in front of me,  the more elongate beast appears to be Magilopsis
robillardi (Lienard 1870) and the more numerous Magilopsis doesn't
appear to match anything in these publications, though it could
possibly be Magilopsis. cumingii  (H & A Adams 1863); it does not
appear to be Coralliobia fimbriata, which has stronger spiral cords
or heavy ribs and which has a broadly-rounded anterior end.

Re the scaphopod, this is not a polychaet annelid; these worms
inevitably produce a rather rough tube which is chalky, not
translucent (the only polychaet I know produces a smooth
glassy-appearing tube is Hyalonoecia tubicola, and this tube is
organic and straight) and curvature is approximate at best. Only
scaphopods produce such a regularly-tapered regularly-coiled smooth
shell. In my experience glassy clear molluscan shells turn opaque
white soon after death (I believe I can see this happening to my
canyon marginellids only 4 years after collection, always stored in
the dark); the vast majority of dead specimens come up in the dredge
already opaque white or yellowish, though they are glassily
transparent when living (Anatoma, Mitrella etc). I have never seen a
Recent Gadilina, but my fossils are all highly glossy. And Dentalium
aprinum is certainly translucent, though not transparent.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand