From:
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 11:57:48 -0600
I haven't a clue, but always an opinion!  I would bet octopus and squid do
not have optical sensors in their skin as they have very advanced eyes and
most likely use their eyes for this purpose.  On the other hand, nerites
have "closed eyes" that probably do not see much more than light and dark
shapes.  These combined with their other senses, including the optically
sensitive dark areas on their skin, still leaves them far short of the
visual acuity of cephalopods.  The difference here is a group of mollusks
(octopus and squids) that are active hunters with great mobility.  On the
other hand you have the neritids who are heavily armored grazers that depend
upon a number of defensive mechanisms that all added up pretty much equal
"hunker down."  No need for great visual acuity there.

Tom E