From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 09:33:35 -0400
Some very fine cowry images, Bob! They are even better when viewed
full-sized. (Some of us know
how to 'turn off' Javascript.) Hopefully you'll get the opportunity to share
the conchological stats
of the shells shown in you website. Good data are always worth having.

Your comment about there not being live images of this species in Burgess's
COWRIES OF THE WORLD
is just one side of the die for this volume. Another is all those marvelous
close-ups of living cowries at
the front of this book which have NO identification with them. I recognize a
few but must guess at
others. Perhaps Burgess was unsure of the IDs given with the images. To have
all of those mantles
and cephalic areas properly named would have been a wonderful advance in
Malacology.

The year that I spent in Guam was not very productive so far as finding
shells went. Diving out of
Turtle Cove behind Navy housing didn't bring much variety. I found some
'shells' there left over from
WW2 but Navy EOD took those out to deeper water and dropped them.
Viewers of your website might want to use a feature included in the newer
browsers when navigating
through your pages. The BACK 'button' has a smaller button close to it that
drops a list previous
pages where one can take their pick of documents to which they might return.

Nice work!

Bob Dayle (A.K.A. 'makuabob')http://www.cowrys.org