From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:27:43 +1200
I need to know the feeding habits if known (ha!) of Poirieria,
Typhinae, Trophoninae and Pterynotus... that is, whether any of these
bore shells (we have a late Oligocene shellbed with lots of muricid
borings, but the only muricids so far known to be present are
Poirieria primigena, Typhis hebetatus & T. panoplus, Xymene lepida,
"Terefundus" nsp aff axirugosus (both "T" actually belong to an
undescribed genus) and Pterynotus nspp... and the Xymene is too small
to account for the larger borings. The Typhis and Poirieria are the
only ones common enough.

So I need the e-mail addresses of the muricid workers to ask about this...

...or are there other gastropods around which bore cylindrical holes?
(don't believe so). Countersunk naticid borings are far more common
there, and as yet I have seen no Octopus borings... but would really
like to... direct evidence of Oligocene octopuses!