From:
Alex Menez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:29:51 +0200
This is a monster snail for Europe! Helix lucorum and Helix pomatia are the
largest land snails in Europe and attain maximal heights and widths of about
55mm. The coloration and apertural shape of your specimen do not match
these. I have never seen such a beastie as the one you describe from Europe,
and certainly not from Spain! Maybe a photo might be helpful. I would
definately consider whether this shell came from elsewhere, you certainly
are not sure of the locality. There is the possibility it may have been
bought in a souvenir shop (shell and souvenir shops in Spain, as almost
everywhere else also sell exotic land shells).