From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:17:29 -0400
Alwyn (and others interested in cowries),

For a period in the late '80s and early '90s, I 'tagged' many
cowries while trying to accumulate data on growth rates.
My method was to file notches--in coded positions and
sequences--into the marginal callusses, at locations which
did not seem likely to comprimise the shells' integrity.
Some of these shells helped me determine that some cowries
achive a final state of callosity and continue living afterward
without adding more callus. This was mentioned in an article
in the March, 1991 Hawaiian Shell News. It is also available
on-line at http://www.cowrys.org/archive/NSN375CY.HTM#A

Obviously, the less callussed the cowries were, the more difficult
it was to not harm the animal and its shell, plus further growth
would obliterate the 'tags.' I have two well-matured Cypraea
sulcidentata which almost completely covered the notches I
had put in them months before.

Later, I decided on a method of shallower grooves in the dorsum,
where growth was minimal and any commercial value was greatly
reduced; an important consideration for scientific work.

I hope that helps...

makuabob (bob dayle), webmaster
http://www.cowrys.org