From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 01:25:34 -0400
>Rats!! I just purchased a Nikon 5700. You mean to tell me it sucks?
>Looked to me that it worked just fine during demos at the store We were
>doing pretty nice close ups, HAND HELD, on some Liguus and Polymitas.
>High end stuff bought on the Internet usually is not guaranteed by the Mfg.
>There is nothing like test driving a camera before you buy.

Hi Emilio,

Nothing could be further from the truth. Your Nikon (and indeed every Nikon
I have personally owned or used) has produced exceptional results. I have
never heard of a single instance of a Nikon CCD failing. I currently own a
Minolta Dimage 7, and the main reason I was able to get that was through
my job. I previously owned a Nikon 990. While the Minolta is very nice
for large photos (it is a 5.24 megapixel camera), I now wish I had never
sold the Nikon 990. I have good to excellent results with the Minolta,
but it is bulkier and has lots of weird focus problems (too slow or says the
shot is in focus and it isn't). The 990 went with me everywhere; it got bumped,
dropped, knocked around and kept performing. It also focused down to about
3/4 of an inch.

Some people swear by certain brands or get caught up in what seems to be
a good idea (like writing data to a floppy disc or a CD), but the bottom line
is that Nikon produces some of the finest cameras on Earth. But so does
Sony, Olympus, Minolta, etc. Sure, there may be a lemon in there somewhere,
but there is almost always a few of any product that seem to be a dud.

Don't fret. Look back at the photos shot over the last 3 years or so that
appeared in American Conchologist and you'll see why I wish I had that
camera back!

Best regards,
Jim