From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:17:58 +1000
Dear all,

That story of high tides coming in brings a smile to my face of a funny
urban (nautical?) myth I heard from the captain of a dive charter on the
Great Barrier Reef. Along the Queensland coast the differences in tides are
rather pathetic compared to what Ross is talking about, but the sand bars
are so flat that on a good low tide the water still disappears from vision,
and yes, people follow it out for various reasons. The man said that on one
such occasion when the tide was coming in there was a call for emergency
assistance on the radio, about which the emergency services wanted to know
details -number of people, type of vessel, upon which the desperate voice
came 'I'm not in a vessel, but in a Nissan Navara, and I'm standing on the
roof'
You probably heard that one before, but I like the story nevertheless.

I suppose the morale of this story is that we need to be careful when we're
out shelling

And Andrew, if you haven't already done so, if I were you, I would delete
that offer for that camera immediately. I must fully agree with Marcus -
you usually get what you pay for, and if an offer is too good to be true,
it probably isn't

Patty

Dr. Patty Jansen

Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com
Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com

Books of Nature
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070
Australia

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]