From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:07:15 +1200
>Dear (Conch) all,
>

>In 1863, Sylvanus Hanley published his "Photographic Conchology",
>probably the first conchological work with photos. Dance (A History
>of Shell Collecting, 1986: 141) made the following remark: "Photos
>of freshwater clams have been hand coloured (...)The resulting
>illustrations are ugly and mostly unidentifiable. It would appear
>that the experiment was speedly abandoned".
>Now my two questions are: 1) is this really the first shell book
>featuring photos? And 2) What is the first shell book (or any
>conchological publication) featuring genuine COLOUR photography?
>
>Marien Faber

There was an article in NGS magazine in ?1949, full-color... titled
something like "Seashells take you to world horizons". There was
genuine color photography available in the 1800s, but these did not
use the normal color processes and most folk have never heard of them.

Color photography became comon during WW2, and was used extensively
by the German government and US military for filming. It was often
changed to B&W for broadcast.

B&W photos were not uncommon in later-1800s scientific papers.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand