From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:46:08 +1200
>Hi Paul , I think I know the answer on this one, we Europeans, we
>use Buccinids for this seafood dish , namely Buccinum undatum,
>living on the Atlantic coasts, up to Iceland ,
>we in The Netherlands are also eating Mussels , (moules mariniere )
>and some 20 years ago when my wife and I were camping in Concarneau,
>on the Bretonnese coast ( Cote Bretonniere ) we ate almost every day
>fresh picked Mussels ,
>I don't know if they do this nowadays, but we liked them very much !
>I also had some Coquillage St Jaques , and they are Pectinids, and
>are all Pectinidae edible ????
>
>Busycons , are also Buccinids , so is it easy to say that all
>Buccinids are edible ???
>
>Quite interesting topic, what species of shells are edible , and
>which are to be avoided !
>Does anyone know if there exists a list of species on this matter ??

I think you'll find that almost all molluscs are edible. Some may not
taste nice, though! Sulfide-habitat, methane-seep and whalefall
species such as Lepetodrilus, Paracocculina cervae (being offered by
dealers as Osteopelta mirabilis) and Adipicola being the toxic
exceptions.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand