Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 21:25:14 -0400
Dear Julie;-
   Wentletraps! Now that's something I know a little about. Yes, There are several species to be found on Sanibel. For ID purposes, you might consider buying one of each from a local shell shop. The local ones wont cost much.
   You do want to check the high tide line. Especially areas that look like a line of coffee grounds. The Traps, Olivela, and Dentalum are very light so they tend to wash up to the last tide line. Other than that, check temporary pools at low tide. Around the corner at the left-hand end is usually pretty good.
   With Sanibel's reputation, there are a lot of shellers picking up YOUR shells. Apres storm is highly recommended also. Good luck.
    Art

> From: Julie Amos <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/09/07 Sun PM 08:43:01 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Shelling on Sanibel
>
> Joyce,
>
> I completely understand and agree with you concerning Sanibel.  We've been
> there four times with the fifth planned this Oct.  Can't wait!  We fly though,
> we wouldn't be able to take enough time off to drive and spend the time we like
> to there.  We rent a condo for a week on the beach, usually on Middle Gulf
> Dr. where I am able to get up early, go walk the beach for several hours and be
> back before my husband gets up.  (I'm the sheller)  Works great!
>
> Here's a question for you.  I have been told many times that the beach by the
> lighthouse is the place to find wentletraps, but have rarely found them.  The
> last time, I was told to look in the seaweed (plants) washed up and left high
> and dry on the beach, that the wentletraps would be in there.  Have you any
> suggestions?
>
> thank you,
> Julie Amos

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!