From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:40:54 +1000
Dear John and others following this discussion,

Although there are a few programs available that will organise your images,
or claim to do so, most become excessively slow and unmanageable when you
handle 1000's of images. Also, there is the risk of the program becoming
outdated, the company producing it going into receivership etc.
The Windows explorer i.e. your ordinary file manager is the most foolproof
way of organising your images, when you make folders by family, and then
name the files after the entire species name. You can consider putting the
species name first, followed by the generic name, in any case, the find
function will take care of any lost species as already described.

When a folder for a family becomes too large, I put it onto disk.

I do have an Access database with 30,000+ names with more than 1000 linked
images, but these images are only thumbnails and combined take up less than
1MB in space. Adding the full-size images makes the database too slow. I
don't think there is any program that can circumvent that problem

regards

Patty

Dr. Patty Jansen

Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com
Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com

Books of Nature
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070
Australia

mobile 0412 865030
phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]