From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:41:14 +0000
Speaking of Strombus costatus, I've been wanting to know if there's an
explanation for the two forms I've encountered.

One is relatively thin, with refined sculpturing, as in the Bahamas.

The other is heavy, coarse, very thick-lipped, with dark gray on the outer
lip and parietal area as in St. Martin, not very far from the Bahamas.

The habitats are similar, seems to me.

Have other sculptural variations been found? Are they named?

David Kirsh
Durham, NC