From:
"Guido T. Poppe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:40:18 +0200
Dear Art,

With the greatest respect for you and your publications, but I don't agree
Tom Rice's prices (also with the greatest respect for Tom) are any reference
as on the rarity of shells. The prices in his catalogue are outdated in most
cases and the catalogue is full of hundreds of extremely rare shells offered
at a bargain price (!?).
For some shells you can consult dealers, but serious dealers will answer you
that price and rarity have little in common. You can buy very rare specimen
for almost nothing and collectors sometimes pay high prices for common
shells. There also, they have their multiple reasons for.

Guido

> Dear Bruno;-
>  A couple of years ago, I spent a whole morning tossing S pugilis back into
> the ocean. This was at Sanibel. That would indicate that they are quite
> common.
>   Any time you want to know if a shell is rare or not, consult a dealer or Tom
> Rice's Prices.
>   The only shells not listed by Rice are either so common, a nickle would get
> you five; or so rare, no one has offered them for some time.
>   Art
>>
>> From: Bruno Mathι <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: 2003/10/24 Fri AM 10:55:34 EDT
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Strombus pugilis albinos
>>
>> Talking about white strombus...
>>
>> I recently found a Strombus pugilis, in Guadeloupe, with the dorsum white,
>> and the mouth light orange and grey. It was the only one like this in a
>> concentration of several dozens of specimens, all very colorfull. Are
>> albinos Strombus pugilis rare ? Uncommon ? Fairly common ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Bruno
>> www.zonatus.com

Thousands of shells available online, and massive conchological info.
http://www.conchology.be/

For art lovers: a fine collection of antique African knives
http://www.mambele.be