From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:06:38 +1300
>On this subject:
>     How do they plan to weed out synonyms? Or do they?

Some will, some won't. Some will include known-but- undescribed
species, some won't. The paleontologists are in a worse position
here, because a lot of fossil spp are known by different specific
names in different areas &/or when they occur over a broad
time-range, and sorting this out is nigh impossible.

>And are they planning yearly suplements to account for new
>discoveries and new synonyms?

Ha! Nice thought... so long as you're not the taxonomist responsible
for DOING the work!

>     Actually, it's a pretty good idea. Tie it all together.

It sure is. It will be highly incomplete, have massive redundancy
(synonyms in use being counted) and be out-of-date before it's
published, BUT it will be an extremely useful database worldwide.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand