Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:01:04 -0400
Dear Andrew Pete et al;-
    Olive story:
    Some of you probably remember Mr. Glancy; lived somewhere in Central Indiana, developed strains of popcorn. He had a "Shell Museum". It was in the barn behind the house. One of his pride and joys was:---he had an example of every species of Olive listed in The Zeigler book-----GLUED to a piece of plywood.
     Art

> From: Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/04/09 Fri PM 06:40:37 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Olividae
>
> >Hi Peter:
> >Well, as Art says it's impossible you get the real answer. You can
> >choose between 57 sps for Zeigler & Porreca (1969), 176 sps. for
> >Petuch & Sargent (1986) or "only" 74 sps. for Tursch & Greifeneder
> >(2001).
> >
> >Who is more reasonable? In the last book you can read a very
> >critical study about the Genus that can convince you (or not). In
> >any case I think that it's a new point of view to consider the
> >characteristics of any shell and particularly the Olive shells.
>
> Petuch is a most incredible splitter. Not reasonable at all, methinks.
> --
> Andrew Grebneff
> Dunedin
> New Zealand
> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

> click leave the list.

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!