From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:08:33 -0600
I am forwarding this announcement to the list because I think this work is
extremely important.  These three authors (Coan, Kabat, & Petit) have
created a useful and almost unbelievably monumental listing of malacologists
from 2,400 years ago (as presented in the title) to today.  You cannot work
with shells for very long before you "need" information on a malacologist
from the past, like one of the Sowerby's, or a modern author like Ponder.
Whether due to curiosity or a formal reference need, this information can be
tiresome to accumulate.  We now have an online and downloadable resource
that serves as the first critical stop in such a quest.  Here you will find
name, dates, and a listing of pertinent biographical and bibliographical
works for each listed malacologist.  Over 5,000 individuals are cataloged!
Personally I wish to thank these three individuals for not only this
tremendous undertaking, but for providing this work in such a readily
accessible format.  It is now on my hard drive and on a backup CD.  The
authors state they will routinely update this listing, so I plan on burning
a new CD annually to ensure I have current information.  Gentlemen, thank
you.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA