From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:45:09 +1200
>Helix aspesa is more problematic:
>Cornu aspersum (Mueller, 1774) acc. to Falkner et al., 1997
>Cantareus aspersus (Mueller, 1774) acc. to Giusti et al, 1995
>According to the latter Cornu can not be used because it has been
>based on a teratological form (Cornu copiae). However, it is
>questionable wether that real may be applied retroactively.

I don't know what (if anything) the ICZN rules have to say about
this, but if the abnormal genotype is clearly recognizable at species
level there should be no problem with availability of the generic
name Cornu.

I note that Vaught has listed Cornu Born 1778 uncertainly ads a
synonym of Cryptomphalus. I also see a lot of other subgenera of
Helix. Surely there are not so many species?
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin